Tuesday, April 16, 2013

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie... photograph it.

I had a thought today.

I got an email that an adorable couple that I recently met with had decided to book me for their wedding this summer. I squealed with glee. I met them and LIKE them. Do you know how much more FUN that makes photographing someone's wedding? When I, as a photographer, connect with a couple, the shots are always more heartfelt, creative, fun, etc. What I enjoy even more than shooting the wedding is the engagement session. This is where I spend an hour or so with two people who love each other enough to make a commitment in front of friends, family, and, most importantly, TO each other. And I think that being photographed together is a bit of an amazing experience. It's like a date on film. It's where a couple decides what VERSION of their relationship they want to "catch." It tends to start out awkward and end in love, fun and hilarity. I will tell you this: whether you like the WAY you look laughing/kanoodling/p.d.a.-ing with your partner or not, you'll like the feeling it gives your to see it captured in a still shot. It's... confirming. It's amore.

So here's my thought. (you assumed I tangented into the land of forget, didn't you?) Engagement sessions, which for decades were just a quick headshot and are now a photojournalistic/fashion-shoot-like EXPERIENCE, have become a "norm" in the I'm-getting-married process. They're fun to do, share, and look back at. So, why just engagements? How FRICKING FRACKING FANTASTIC would anniversary shoots be? Hush, I'm serious. I think that would be even superior... the "Hey, we made it 15 years, 3 kids, 2 health scares, 2 homes, 4 jobs, 4,293 fights and 4,344 make-ups -you read right ;-)-" photo session. I WANT to shoot these. You and your honey should want to star in these. Relationships aren't easy. They're work. They're also worth celebrating. Remember why you picked him/her.

So today... I like love.

No comments:

Post a Comment